BEFORE YOU MAKE NOMINATIONS AT THE BOTTOM …PLEASE THOROUGHLY READ THROUGH ALL QUALIFICATIONS OF A CANDIDATE BELOW. – (Nomination form is at the end of the page)
As outlined in Acts 6, deacons are chosen from amongst the church membership. They cannot volunteer for their position. Desire to perform the duties of a deacon, and enthusiasm for the work they will do is a must, but cannot be a qualification for the position.
The qualifications for the office of Deacon are clearly spelled out in 1 Timothy 3 and Acts 6. The number of deacons is determined by the deacon officers, with consultation from the pastors, prayer, and the leading of the Holy Spirit. The qualifications for the office of Deacon are clearly displayed in 1 Timothy 3:8-13.
• Dignified (v.8) – Respectable.
• Not double-tongued (v.8) – Their word is trustworthy.
• Not addicted to much wine (v.8) – A man is disqualified for the office of deacon if he is addicted to wine or other strong
drink. This would indicate a lack of self-control.
• Not greedy for dishonest gain (v.8)
• Sound in faith and life (v.9) – The phrase “the mystery of the faith” is simply a reference to the gospel. Consequently, the behavior of a deacon must be consistent with the gospel.
• Blameless (v.10) – A deacon must have a good overall character.
• Godly wife (v.11) – According to Paul. deacons’ wives must “be dignified, not slanderers, but sober-minded, faithful in all
things”. Like her husband, the wife must be dignified or respectable. Secondly, she must not be a slanderer or a person who goes around spreading gossip. A deacon’s wife must also be sober-minded or temperate. That is, she must be able to make good judgments and must not be involved in things that might hinder such judgment. Finally, she must be “faithful in all things” (1 Tim. 3:11).
• Husband of one wife (v.12)
• Manage children and household well (v.12)
General Scriptural Qualifications
• Have professed Jesus Christ as their Lord and Savior, admitted they are a sinner, and confessed their need for the Son of God to save them from their sins [Acts 2:22-39]
• Have walked in the waters of Baptism, or are willing to be Baptized [Acts 2:38]
• Belief in the infallibility of the Word of God as housed in the Bible [Deut 8:3, Matt 4:4]
• Understand that their personal testimony (through word, action, and attitude) is constantly on public display. They must jealously guard their testimony in all matters, thinking about what is noble, right pure, lovely, admirable, or praiseworthy [Philippians 4:8] and acting to not make a brother or sister in Christ stumble. [Romans 14]
• Is not to abuse alcohol or participate in acts of the flesh [Gal 5:19-21]
General EWBC Qualifications
• The candidate and wife must be a member of EWBC.
• Have a consistent history of actively serving in ministries within the church.